Garlic is an amazing plant. I use garlic cloves to make garlic oil for when someone in my family gets sick. It is truly amazing how well it works! (See the recipe at the bottom of this post to learn how to make it!) Right now my kids and my husband all have congestion. We are in our new home (the Hobby Homestead) and since we recently moved in I’m out of certain homemade remedies. Garlic oil treatment (or GOOT for short) is one of my go-to remedies. It is easy to whip up and it is very effective. The main way I apply it is to place a small glob on a Q-tip and place it in and around the nose. Eventually you no longer smell the garlic but reap the benefits! Instantly my sinuses clear and that feels amazing. I’ve used it when I start to get a little post-nasal drip. That seems to help clear it up before it becomes something more. I forced my husband to use it tonight. He was all resistant because he didn’t want to smell garlic the whole night. Well, it’s 9 pm and he’s passed out so he must be ok! If you try it, come back and comment about how it worked for you!
Garlic oil can be used in the following ways:
- Put in and around the nose to help with congestion. THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE WAY I USE IT!
- Rub on the chest, neck, and ears. Acts like a Vicks Vapor Rub.
- Rub on the bottoms of your feet and put socks on. Feet are considered a direct link to the bloodstream. As great as this sounds it also makes you smell like garlic. My husband does not appreciate this application. :)
- This herb has been used since long time in many traditional Indian and Chinese medicines as a remedy for cold, cough, bronchitis, etc.
- Garlic oil has been used as a local applicant for “ring worm” (fungal dermatitis) infection of skin.
- In modern medicine, this exotic herb is advised as health benefiting food for its anti-microbial, anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, and immune boosting and cholesterol-lowering properties.
Health Benefits of Garlic:
- Strong flavored, garlic cloves contain many noteworthy phyto-nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that have proven health benefits. Total measured antioxidant strength (ORAC value) is 5346 µmol TE/100 g.
- Its bulbs contain organic thio-sulfinite compounds such as diallyl disulfide, diallyl trisulfide and allyl propyl disulfide that can form allicin by enzymatic reaction, which is activated by disruption of bulb (like crushing, cutting, etc.).
- Laboratory studies show that allicin reduces cholesterol production by inhibiting the HMG-CoA reductaseenzyme within the liver cells.
- Further, allicin also decreases blood vessel stiffness by release of nitric oxide (NO); thereby bring a reduction in the total blood pressure. It blocks platelet clot formation and has fibrinolytic action in the blood vessels, which helps decrease the overall risk from coronary artery disease (CAD), peripheral vascular diseases (PVD) and stroke.
- Research studies also found that consumption of garlic is associated with a possible decrease in the incidence of stomach cancer.
- Allicin and other essential volatile compounds also found to have anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal activities.
- Garlic is an excellent source of minerals and vitamins that are essential for optimum health. The bulbs are one of the richest sources of potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, andselenium. Selenium is a heart-healthy mineral, and is an important cofactor for antioxidant enzymes within the body. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Iron is required for red blood cell formation.
- It contains many flavonoid anti-oxidants like carotene beta, zea-xanthin, and vitamins like vitamin-C. Vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals.
Garlic cloves have amazingly high levels of vitamins and minerals. Just 100 g provides (in % of recommended daily allowance):
95% of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine),
52% of vitamin C,
33% of copper,
21% of iron,
18% of calcium,
26% Selenium, and
73% of manganese
but no cholesterol.
Learn more about the Amazing Health Benefits of Garlic!