Baked Zucchini Parmesan
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 20 min.
- 3 Tbs. coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. basil, or 1 Tbs. fresh, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano, or 1 Tbs. fresh, minced
- 1 tsp. thyme, or 2 tsp. fresh, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (or equivalent fresh)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 1-1/2 lbs. zucchini and yellow squash, thinly sliced (about 4 small ones)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can of Organic Tomato sauce.
- Pasta to put the above mixture over–I use brown rice pasta.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring water to a boil to prepare the pasta while you are cooking the rest of the meal. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté next 4 ingredients 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sauté 4 minutes.
Stir in stock and zucchini. Cover skillet and simmer 3 minutes, or until zucchini is almost tender. Drain excess liquid from skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Dump can of tomato sauce into baking dish. Transfer drained pasta into baking dish and mix with the sauce. Transfer zucchini mixture from skillet and spread evenly on top of the pasta.
Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
My kids enjoyed this so much tonight that Bridget ate FIVE helpings and Emily had FOUR! I couldn’t believe it. They usually eat pretty well but that was way more than I even ate. I’m just glad they ate the zucchini! 🙂 I was reading about how we get so caught up in forcing certain foods on our children and creating this view of unhealthy foods as rewards and good foods as something we “have to” eat. I think we should force ourselves to think differently about food.