Making my own cleaners and personal care products has been a fantastic part of my toxin-free journey. I feel great about it! Every thing I try works and it keeps me wanting to try something else. Here is my recipe for making your own laundry soap!
First you need to make some washing soda or…Click here to buy it.
- Baking soda (as much as you want to use, keep in mind you only need 1 tbsp per 1 quart of laundry soap).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread baking soda out on baking sheet. Bake (stirring occasionally) for 1 hr. You will be able to see the consistency of the baking soda changes. It appears more flour-like.
- See laundry soap recipe.
Now that you have the washing soda you can start making the laundry soap! I buy my baking soda and castile soap in bulk. I use them both a lot in household recipes. What is castile soap? Castile soap uses olive oil grown in the Castile region of Spain as its key ingredient. Castile soap has been used for centuries as a gentle and effective cleaning agent. If you want to add scent to your laundry soap without buying or adding essential oils, you can purchase the castile soap in citrus or lavender. It goes very far and the recipes you use it for don’t call for a lot of it. Well worth the purchase! Below are some of the scents and sizes.
- 4 tbsp washing soda
- 4 tbsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp castille soap (I used Dr Bronners Baby Mild Castille Soap. Consider the scented to add scent without having to use essential oils).
- 1 gallon water
- In a 1 gallon container (old milk jug will work), mix 4 tbsp washing soda and 4 tbsp baking soda. Add a little water to mix them together. Add 6 tbsp castille soap and then add the rest of the water to fill the container. Place cap on container and shake well to mix. DONE! You only need about 1/3 cup per load.
- See washing soda recipe to make your own! So easy. Just bake the baking soda!
Little by little I am eliminating toxins AND saving money. This is really not that time consuming either. I made enough washing soda to last a year!
Please let me know how this works for you!
I hope this helps you! Do you want to learn more about essential oils? Join me in my exclusive Facebook group Life Sanity Natural Living! Also, you can signup for my Newsletter. For those of you interested in signing up with a wholesale account after reading this post, follow this link to purchase your Premium Starter Kit to save 24% on your essential oils! Please let me know if you have any questions. I would love for you to join me on my journey to a healthier, toxic free life!
I also use Snapguide for many of my recipes! It is a pretty nifty app for your phone too. A little addictive…..
Photo credit: lightsource